Some may say February 14th aka Valentine’s Day is the cheesiest day of the year, but honestly who doesn’t love a bit of cheese? Whether it’s in the form of a triple brie, gouda or a bit of giggle-worthy romance, we think V-Day is the perfect excuse to treat yourself and/or a loved one.
Here in Perth we have a myriad of options that will work as the perfect gift for both him and her on this loved up holiday. In our opinion nothing says ‘I Love You’ more than treating the senses to a gastronomic delight or special outing together. There is a ton of über romantic Valentine’s venues and ideas to indulge in, however here are 5 of our top picks to get you in the mood.
1. Romantic Restaurant or Flirty Café
You can say that romance is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone has a different perspective on what they call romantic whether it’s a single red rose and a 5-star restaurant or heading out to a favourite coffee shop where you first met your beloved for the first time for some reminiscing. Romance can be simple or extravagant, it’s just a matter of putting some heart into it.
Whether you’re looking for a fun and flirty café or a romantic restaurant in Perth, there are platefuls of options! If you want to have a laugh at the cheesy pun of Valentine’s Day, why not head out to The Cheese Barrel in the Swan Valley for a very cheesy date teamed with some fabulous wine from sister property Olive Farm Wines. Or perhaps try one of the most talked about venues at the moment Wildflower in the Perth CBD where the dishes are inspired by the six Noongar seasons. You can enjoy either a 5-course tasting menu or order off the à la carte menu.
If neither of those tasty spots grab your attention, then you can find a range of Perth-fect dining options here.
2. Hand-Holding Beach Stroll
We live in Perth – one of the most amazing destinations in the world for glorious stretches of beautiful coastline – so it’s only natural to head there as much as possible. Whether you visit the beach a lot or don’t get there as much as you would like to, Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to plan a beach visit.
Between the rolling waves, sand between your toes and hopefully some hand-holding, there’s no doubt some beach time should be on the cards. Team your beach trip with a picnic (see point 5 for some top picnic tips) or some fish’n’chips on the beach and it’s the perfect low-key yet dreamy V-Day idea.
3. Gondola & Champagne Cruise
Between the pizza, pasta, prosecco and red wine – Italy simply oozes love, or should we say oozes amore! Okay so you may not be able to sneak away for that much-needed Italian holiday, but you can have a piece of it here in Perth.
Have you heard about the gondola boats that glide around the canals in Venice? Well, here in Perth we have a beautifully crafted gondola that glides around the Swan River. You can opt for either a 15-minute cruise or a lush 1-hour cruise between 11am and 7pm daily.
With the 1 hour cruise, you can also choose to add on a bottle of sparkling wine or champagne, a red rose and chocolates to really step it up a notch. Make it an 11am champagne breakfast/brunch cruise or why not a magical 6pm cruise after which you can hit up one of the many Elizabeth Quay or Perth CBD eating and drinking spots.
4. Not Your Typical Dinner/Lunch Date
In Perth, we have some awesome alternatives to your typical sit down meal. A food and/or drinks tour is a fun date idea and it helps you avoid any awkward silent moments because you’ll be in a group situation. Perhaps this is the perfect idea for those who are not quite ready for a one-on-one evening with your new/potential bae.
Plus, if your date is into their exercise and getting their ‘Fitbit Steps’ or closing their Apple Watch Activity Circles then why not opt for something like a Two Feet & a Heartbeat tour. These guys operate several walking tours involving food and drinks from a Morning Tea Tour of Perth City to a CBD Progressive Dinner and Eat/Drink/Walk Small Bar Tours of both the CBD and Northbridge.
5. The Loved-Up Picnic
There’s something extra special about a picnic – whether you pick the location for the amazing view, for the secluded privacy or for the nostalgia – a picnic is an easy-to-make happen yet incredibly romantic Feb 14th idea. Make it a surprise for your other half and it’s the ultimate Valentine’s Day gift. You can put as much or as little effort into it.
Whether you want to hand-make a basket full of treats or purchase a ready to go picnic hamper it’s up to you. In Perth we are lucky to have loads of gorgeous lookouts and parks for picnics from the Kalamunda Zig Zag Lookout in the Perth Hills to Bayview Park in Mosman and of course all those glorious Perth beaches.
Great food, great drinks and without a doubt great company is all you need to make this Valentine’s Day one to remember. Just don’t forget the cheese 😉
Author Bio: This article was written by Jodee Wearne who owns and operates Just In Time Gourmet with her hubby, Justin. Just In Time Gourmet specialise in gourmet food and hampers which they deliver around Australia. Perth is home to Jodee & Justin, which means they love to support local food producers and the Western Australia food and drinks scene as much as possible.
GOURMET HAMPER GIVEAWAY
To help celebrate the season of love, Just In Time Gourmet in collaboration with The Chef’s Wife would like to give away a beautiful Gourmet Traveller Picnic Basket to one lucky reader. This amazing picnic hamper is worth $270 and is full of tasty treats for your ultimate Perth picnic.
The hamper comes equipped with 4 ceramic plates and mugs, glasses, cutlery, chopping board, insulated drink flask and we’ve also included the below to help you start packing for your next picnic:
- Ogilvie & Co Smokey Cheese Nibbles
- Ogilvie & Co Antipasto Trio Set
- The Truffle & Wine Co Truffle Mustard
- Cahoots Red Onion Marmalade
- Forager Preserves Green Tomato Chutney
- The Berry Farm Classic Salad Dressing
- Bettenay’s Margaret River Nougat
- Whistlers Gourmet Milk Wrap
- Whistlers Gourmet Milk Chocolate Rocky Road
- Your choice of Swan Valley Wine, Little Creatures Beer or Yarra Valley Cider
Head to my Facebook Page… http://bit.ly/ChefsWifeFB
- LOVE the Just in Time Gourmet Hamper post – it is for Valentines Day!
- Then in the COMMENTS, simply let me know which of the above 5 Valentines Ideas you’d love the most on Valentines Day.
- TAG a friend or two who you think would love to win this fantastic hamper too.
Terms and Conditions:
- The competition closes at 7pm on Thursday the 9th of February 2017
- 1 winner receives a gourmet hamper filled with the above mentioned crockery, cutlery and food items.
- The value of the prize is $270, this is not exchangeable for cash.
- The winner must live within the metropolitan area of Perth, Western Australia.
- The winner will be selected at random from all comments made.
- The winner will be contacted by the Chefs Wife via Facebook. If the winner does not respond within 24hrs, there will be a re-draw.
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. By entering this competition you are agreeing to the rules and acknowledging that Facebook is not connected in any way to this contest.
Wishing you all lots of luck and love!